Thursday, January 1, 2009

Have I Mentioned How Much I HATE...

Not having internet!!! ACK!! Drives me nuts!!!

Happy New Year!

So... 2008. Total books read-- 107. Not too shabby. I'll give a better year in review tomorrow.... assuming I have internet.... since I'm not actually home, so I don't have my book of books.

Sorcery and Cecilia or The Enchanted Chocolate Pot by Patricia Wrede and Caroline Stevermer
5 stars
R-1
YF

LOVE LOVE LOVE this book. And it's sequel... and the third one.
Cecilia and Kate are cousins writing letters in 19th century London. It may not be the 19th century London you're familiar with, though. (Unless of course you come from another dimension where magic use is entirely normal.) As the cousins discuss magic, the Season, and life in general, all sorts of crazy things end up happening!
I actually got to hear Patricia Wrede read part of the sequel manuscript at BYU's Life, the Universe, and Everything Sci-Fi convention about 6 years ago. (Yikes, was it really that long ago? Dang.) My fabulous cousin and I went, basically because I LOVE Patricia Wrede! (Seriously, if you haven't read her Dragon books, you totally should! Dealing With Dragons is the first. They're for kids and they're hysterical!)
Anyway.
We were inspired. So inspired, in fact, that we said, hey, we can do that.
Because the Cecilia books started with a letter game. Here's how it works-- 2 writers (you could do more, I guess, but that seems too complicated) create characters and exchange some basic setting information. VERY basic. The characters then exchange letters. FOREVER. Okay, not really, forever. But some of us take years to get the characters through one story year.
The main rule is- no discussion of plot.
NONE.
Because the fun of the game is not knowing what's going to happen next.

Since I'm sure you're dying to know-- yes, we're still playing. And naturally, we've started a blog. If you're interested (and I know you are LOL) you can find our antics at http://arriandkeish.spaces.live.com/ Keep in mind that it's going to make WAY more sense if you start at the beginning, so check the archives. March 20 is the first letter. (No, it wasn't posted in March, the letter is dated March).
I'll let you guess which one is me.

:D:D

No comments:

Post a Comment