Tuesday, May 5, 2009

The Big Dirt Nap by Rosemary Harris


Shop Indie Bookstores

4 stars
R- 2?

This is the 2nd Dirty Business Mystery. (The first was Pushing Up Daisies.)

Again, a fun, fluffy mystery. This one is missing the romantic aspects that the first one had, but it was a good story.

It's about a year after the first book and Paula is off to Titans, an old hotel, to see its corpse flower... and ends up confronted with an actual corpse. Who had her business card in her pocket. Figures.

Now her friend Lucy is missing, people are following her, and the blasted flower still hasn't bloomed. (Though that may be a mixed blessing since once it blooms, it'll smell like a corpse--hence the name.)

I like Paula, she's a fun character. I wish there had been a bit more of the other characters, (Felix isn't even mentioned...) but in some ways it was nice to not have any such complications. I kind of think the third will take place closer to home, so we may see a return to those relationships... or lack of relationships. ;)

And for your reading pleasure, here's a fun quote--
"Classical music would have put me to sleep so I settled on a college radio station in the middle of its weekly Irish hour. That, the Red Bull, and four open windows were the only things keeping me from pulling over into a deserted weigh station, curling up into a fetal position , and having a snooze. I'm a good sleeper. That's been the consensus with everyone from my mother to my last sweetheart. I know it's supposed to be a compliment, but it's hard to take it as praise when someone tells you they love it when you're unconscious."

This could so be me! Well, minus the Red Bull. :D

2 comments:

  1. So glad you enjoyed the book. I've just finished writing Deadhead, book three in the series, and you're right, it does take place closer to home.
    Cheers,
    Rosemary

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it when authors drop by! Thanks!

    I'm looking forward to reading Deadhead!

    ReplyDelete