Monday, April 12, 2010

The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, Volume One

3 Stars
R-4 (innuendo AND pictures)
VERY BLOODY

I'd have given this a higher score if it weren't for how risque it was.  Definitely not a kid's graphic novel!

Confession-- I love this movie.  Yeah, it's stupid.  I know.  It could be one of the dumbest movies ever made... but I love it.

And I was delighted to see that one of my favorite lines is straight from the graphic novel!  Okay, so the context was different, but the first mate does in fact say "Call me Ishmael"!!

Cracked me up when I first saw it in the theater.... and then I was disturbed to find that in a dollar theater in a college town I was the ONLY ONE THAT GOT IT!  Terrible.

Anyway, fun to know where the story came from, but I have no desire to read the others.  Which is too bad, because the random literary references are fabulous.

I'll stick with the movie.  Not as bloody, not as risque... AND it has Sean Connery.  What more could you want? :D

Counts for the Support Your Local Library challenge!

No comments:

Post a Comment