Thursday, July 6, 2017

Rise of the Dungeon Master: Gary Gygax and the Creation of D&D by David Kushner

4 stars
graphic nonvel
R- 2
some language
received for review

First off, no, that's not a typo.  That's what I've decided to call nonfiction in the form of a graphic novel-- a graphic nonvel.

Second, many reviewers on GoodReads were disappointed (and apparently surprised) that this was not an in-depth biography of Gygax.  So just to clear things up, this is NOT an in-depth biography of Gygax.  It is, in fact, about the creation of D&D.

(Really, I thought that was evident from the title, but whatever.)

(Also, it's less than 150 pages... so you know it's not really "in-depth" anything.)

Anyway.

What this IS is a short interesting look at how D&D came to be.

The second person pov made it a little awkward to follow, I thought, but at the same time it's totally fitting.  So it works.  You just might have to pay more attention than you sometimes do.

(And by "you" I mean myself... because really.)

I was hoping to pass this one on to Boo and Mister (because at least one of them expressed some interest) but I'm not going to right at the moment because:
- Dripping condom picture.  EW. ew ew ew ew ew ew ew  Also ew.
- F word.  It's only once, but really, did we need it in there?  Sigh.
(Yes, I know they possibly hear it all and worse but a) they might not and b) there's a difference between things you hear out in the world and things your mom hands to you)

There are some other sensitive topics-- homosexuality, teens/college kids having sex, suicide-- but I could have probably dealt with having those conversations.  Or at least deal with them sooner.

I maybe could have even gotten past the F word. (or scribbled it out... hey, it's my copy)

But the picture.

Again-- EWWWW.

Overall, interesting and worth a look if you are interested in the topic.  Just be aware there may be a certain maturity level.

(Before anyone starts ranting about profanity being realistic, just don't.  I am well aware that there are people in the world who talk like that.  That doesn't mean I have to like it.  Personally I don't actually know people who talk like that, or if I do they have enough respect to not talk like that around me.)

No comments:

Post a Comment